[German title: Aufruf für Artikel-Beiträge: FoIKS’08, Pisa, Italy (Translate text to: Deutsch)]
Fifth International Symposium on
Foundations of Information and Knowledge Systems (FoIKS)
February 11-15, 2008 — Pisa, Italy
Abstract submission deadline: August 15, 2007 (extended)
Call for Papers
The FoIKS symposia provide a biennial forum for presenting and discussing theoretical and applied research on information and knowledge systems. The goal is to bring together researchers with an interest in this subject, share research experiences, promote collaboration and identify new issues and directions for future research.
FoIKS 2008 solicits original contributions dealing with any foundational aspect of information and knowledge systems, including submissions from researchers working in fields such as discrete mathematics, logic and algebra, model theory, information theory, complexity theory, algorithmics and computation, statistics and optimisation who are interested in applying their ideas, theories and methods to research on information and knowledge systems.
Previous FoIKS symposia were held in Budapest (Hungary) in 2006, Vienna (Austria) in 2004, Schloß Salzau near Kiel (Germany) in 2002, and Burg/Spreewald near Berlin (Germany) in 2000. FoIKS took up the tradition of the conference series Mathematical Fundamentals of Database Systems (MFDBS), which initiated East-West collaboration in the field of database theory. Former MFDBS conferences were held in Rostock (Germany) in 1991, Visegrad (Hungary) in 1989, and Dresden (Germany) in 1987.
The FoIKS symposia are a forum for intensive discussions. Speakers are given sufficient time to present their results, expound relevant background information and put their research into context. Furthermore, participants are asked in advance to prepare as correspondents to a contribution of another author.
Suggested topics include, but are not limited to:
- Database Design: formal models, dependency theory, schema translations, desirable properties;
- Dynamics of Information and Knowledge Systems: models of transactions, models of interaction, updates, consistency preservation, concurrency control;
- Information Integration: heterogeneous data, views, schema dominance and equivalence;
- Integrity and Constraint Management: verification, validation, and enforcement of consistency, triggers;
- Intelligent Agents: multi-agent systems, autonomous agents, foundations of software agents, cooperative agents;
- Knowledge Discovery and Information Retrieval: machine learning, data mining, text mining, information extraction;
- Knowledge Representation: planning, reasoning techniques, description logics, knowledge and belief, belief revision and update, non-monotonic formalisms, uncertainty;
- Logics in Databases and AI: non-classical logics, spatial and temporal logics, probabilistic logics, deontic logic, logic programming;
- Mathematical Foundations: discrete structures and algorithms, graphs, grammars, automata, abstract machines, finite model theory, information theory;
- Security and Risk Management in Information and Knowledge Systems: privacy, trust, cryptography, steganography, information hiding;
- Semi-Structured Data and XML: data modelling, data processing, data compression, data exchange;
- Social and Collaborative Computing: symbiotic intelligence, self-organisation, knowledge flow, decision making;
- The Semantic Web and Knowledge Management: languages, ontologies, agents, adaption, intelligent algorithms; and
- The WWW: models of web databases, web dynamics, web services, web transactions and negotiations.
- Abstract submission deadline: August 15, 2007 (extended)
- Paper submission deadline: August 22, 2007 (extended)
- Author notification: October 15, 2007
- Camera ready paper due: November 12, 2007
- Early registration due: January 31, 2008
- Late registration: from February 01, 2008
- Symposium in Pisa, Italy: February 11-15, 2008
For further information go to the conference website.